Close Menu
HFG Insider

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.

    What's Hot

    ‘I come home only to sleep’: ₹35,000 salary employee’s 6-hour daily commute sparks debate online |

    August 21, 2026

    Lausanne Diamond League: Why Neeraj Chopra has more at stake today than settling score with Pathirage | More sports News

    August 21, 2026

    A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain

    August 21, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Trending
    • ‘I come home only to sleep’: ₹35,000 salary employee’s 6-hour daily commute sparks debate online |
    • Lausanne Diamond League: Why Neeraj Chopra has more at stake today than settling score with Pathirage | More sports News
    • A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain
    • “The exams that feel like your life at 19 become funny trivia by 40,” says Ankur Warikoo, here’s what students need to know
    • Ravi Kishan joins ‘Friends’? AI-generated video shows actor advising Joey on ‘money’ and ‘fame’; netizens react, ‘GOAT is everywhere’ |
    • ‘Nazar lag gayi?’ 5 signs traditionally linked to the evil eye
    • World no. 1 Jannik Sinner withdraws from US Open 2026 due to injury | Tennis News
    • In 1972, a Florida man started building a retirement home in a swamp; decades later it became a 12,000-square-foot castle | World News
    Facebook Instagram Pinterest YouTube Tumblr Bluesky Threads
    HFG Insider
    Subscribe Buy Now
    Friday, August 21
    • Home
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Environment
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World
    • Lifestyle
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    HFG Insider
    Home»World»A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain
    World

    A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain

    HFG INSIDER 897By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email Copy Link


    A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain
    Clair Birch says her £170,000 annexe was designed around her disabled daughter’s needs, but planning officials have rejected her appeal. (Photo: SWNS)

    A mother who spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe for her disabled daughter could now be forced to demolish it after losing a planning appeal. Clair Birch, 59, built the one-bedroom annexe in the garden of her semi-detached home in Worcester. She said the building was designed to give her daughter more independence and meet her specific needs.However, the annexe was built without planning permission. After the council rejected a retrospective application, Clair appealed the decision. She has now also lost a separate appeal asking for more time to comply with the enforcement notice.According to a report by SWNS, Clair must now either remove the unauthorised building or make changes to meet Worcester City Council’s requirements.

    Read moreFrench proverb of the day: 'Little by little, the bird makes its nest' — a lesson on why slow, steady effort builds the strongest foundations

    Why did Clair build the £170,000 annexe?

    The annexe replaced an existing garage and outbuilding at the property. Clair said the project was carried out in good faith and that she believed the required planning paperwork had been submitted.A retrospective planning application for the one-bedroom annexe was submitted on March 6, 2025. Worcester City Council rejected it in November 2025.An appeal against that decision was dismissed on February 16, 2026. Clair said she was left facing the consequences of mistakes made by her builder and planner.“I’m liaising with my builder and planner who apparently has submitted all the correct paperwork,” she previously said.

    Read moreAt least 9 killed as Russia launches fresh attacks across Ukraine's Dnipro, Zaporizhzhia

    ‘It was built to meet my daughter’s needs’

    Clair said her daughter wanted to live independently and that the annexe was designed around her needs.“She’s got a phobia of being on the ground floor at night, so we put a second floor in,” she said.“That building was built to meet my daughter’s needs. I was assured by someone who works in the department and my planner that it was all good.”Clair also said she had already lost £70,000 after an earlier builder allegedly left the property unstable.“My planner royally messed up. On one application he put it as an Airbnb, then he has done this,” she said.

    Neighbours complain about the annexe

    £170,000 annexe at risk: Mum Clair Birch could be forced to demolish the building she created for her disabled daughter after losing a planning appeal.

    £170,000 annexe at risk: Mum Clair Birch could be forced to demolish the building she created for her disabled daughter after losing a planning appeal. (Photo: SWNS)

    The large structure has caused tension with neighbours, some of whom have described it as an eyesore.One neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, claimed the building was too close to the property boundary and had caused damage.“It’s not fit how she built that building anyway. At the end of the day, how they’ve built it is right on the line and it overhangs my property,” the neighbour said.“A lot of the damage on my property is still not fixed.”The neighbour also claimed the annexe looked like a separate property because it had been fenced off and had its own garden.“It is almost like another property up there, how they’ve fenced it off and kept it separate from the main building,” they said.Another resident questioned how the building had been constructed without planning permission.“Who builds a detached house in their back garden without getting permission first? It’s barmy. It looks like a bungalow which has been extended,” the resident said.A second neighbour said they initially thought the existing garage was simply being rebuilt.“I thought they were rebuilding the garage but it just kept on going,” they said.They also claimed the building affected privacy because residents could see into neighbouring gardens.

    Planning inspector rejects request for 18 months

    After losing the original planning appeal, Clair asked for more time to comply with the enforcement notice.A separate appeal to extend the compliance period from six months to 18 months was heard on August 12. However, planning inspector Sarah Hanson rejected the request.In her report, Hanson acknowledged Clair’s concerns about her daughter’s accommodation but said the personal circumstances did not change the planning decision.“The appellant considers that six months is insufficient because the building currently accommodates their daughter, who has specific needs,” Hanson wrote.She added that those circumstances did not alter the fact that the development had been found unacceptable on planning grounds.The inspector said the steps required under the enforcement notice were straightforward and included removing the unauthorised building and clearing the resulting materials.“No substantive evidence has been provided to demonstrate that those works could not reasonably be undertaken within six months,” Hanson stated.

    Mum has until February 2027

    Clair now has until February 2027 to comply with the enforcement notice.She will either have to demolish the unauthorised annexe or make changes that satisfy the council.The case has left Clair facing the possible loss of a building that she says was created specifically to give her disabled daughter a safe and independent place to live.According to the report, Clair declined to comment further when approached this week. Worcester City Council also declined to comment further.



    Source link

    Share this:

    • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
    • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
    • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
    • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
    • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
    • Share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky
    • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
    • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
    • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
    • Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads
    • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
    • Print (Opens in new window) Print
    • Share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor
    • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

    Like this:

    Like Loading…

    Related

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Previous Article“The exams that feel like your life at 19 become funny trivia by 40,” says Ankur Warikoo, here’s what students need to know
    Next Article Lausanne Diamond League: Why Neeraj Chopra has more at stake today than settling score with Pathirage | More sports News
    HFG INSIDER 897
    • Website
    • Facebook
    • Pinterest
    • Instagram
    • Tumblr

    HFG Insider is your daily source for the latest News, Technology, Sports, Business, Health, Entertainment, and more. Stay informed with timely updates, trending stories, important developments, and engaging content from India and around the world all in one place.

    Related Posts

    World

    In 1972, a Florida man started building a retirement home in a swamp; decades later it became a 12,000-square-foot castle | World News

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    World

    Meet Caden Pohlkamp, the Texas seventh-grader who built an underwater robot to test 12 neighbourhood ponds; fountains were linked to healthier water

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    World

    In 1986, a ranching family sold California’s 53,000-acre Santa Rosa Island to the US for nearly $30 million; they retained about 7 acres and the right to stay for another 25 years

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    World

    An English town installed a six-metre swing bridge whose deck contains the equivalent of 140 recycled plastic bottles per square metre and can be manually opened for passing boats

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    World

    Quote of the day by Sir Isaac Newton: “We build too many walls and not enough…” – simple reminder behind the barriers we create |

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    World

    Singapore rebuilt a vanished 1920s lake inside a new housing estate; engineers turned it into a flood-control system and wildlife habitat | World News

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Don't Miss

    ‘I come home only to sleep’: ₹35,000 salary employee’s 6-hour daily commute sparks debate online |

    By HFG INSIDER 897August 21, 2026

    ‘I come home only to sleep’: ₹35,000 salary employee’s 6-hour daily commute sparks debate online…

    Share this:

    • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
    • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
    • Email a link to a friend (Opens in new window) Email
    • Share on Reddit (Opens in new window) Reddit
    • Share on Tumblr (Opens in new window) Tumblr
    • Share on Bluesky (Opens in new window) Bluesky
    • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
    • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest
    • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
    • Share on Threads (Opens in new window) Threads
    • Share on Mastodon (Opens in new window) Mastodon
    • Print (Opens in new window) Print
    • Share on Nextdoor (Opens in new window) Nextdoor
    • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

    Like this:

    Like Loading…

    Lausanne Diamond League: Why Neeraj Chopra has more at stake today than settling score with Pathirage | More sports News

    August 21, 2026

    A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain

    August 21, 2026

    “The exams that feel like your life at 19 become funny trivia by 40,” says Ankur Warikoo, here’s what students need to know

    August 21, 2026

    HFG Insider is your daily source for the latest News, Technology, Sports, Business, Health, Entertainment, and more. Stay informed with timely updates, trending stories, important developments, and engaging content from India and around the world — all in one place.

    HFG Insider | Stay Informed. Stay Ahead.

    Facebook Instagram Pinterest YouTube Tumblr Bluesky Threads
    Our Picks

    ‘I come home only to sleep’: ₹35,000 salary employee’s 6-hour daily commute sparks debate online |

    August 21, 2026

    Lausanne Diamond League: Why Neeraj Chopra has more at stake today than settling score with Pathirage | More sports News

    August 21, 2026

    A mother spent £170,000 building a two-storey annexe to give her disabled daughter a safe home in Worcester; it now faces demolition after neighbours complain

    August 21, 2026
    Categories
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Environment
    • Lifestyle
    • Sports
    • Tech
    • World
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Privacy Policy
    • Contact Us
    • About Us
    © 2026 HFG INSIDER. All Rights Reserved.

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.

    %d